Newly Hatched Chicks Deformed? Or Sick? (At local store)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Larkspur88, May 19, 2011.

1. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I went to my local feed store/nursery and was looking around. Went to look at their chicks and they didn't have any available and went to spy in the incubater. Well in the incubator there were 3 chicks that had just hatched walking around on the bottom. Well, two were walking. The third was peeping with one leg splayed out. One of the employees came over and I pointed it out and he opened it up and mentioned some will hatch and not walk well and some people try rubber bands and it will work but we pull it out and it's apparent the leg is actually...deformed. He is like..."Oh...well..this is weird." We hear more cheeps so we pull out the drawer to some other eggs and see another chick and we notice his leg is actually bent under him but he seems normal otherwise. I could feel his a knotted up joint like somewhere in formation he started growing at an odd angle. Then we see another who is crying on its back and we lift it up and stick it on the bottom with the others right side up and it flops back on its back and cries again like its head is too heavy!! We were both like..... 0_o But there were at least 2 or 3 who came out perfectly normal. One of which I wanted to take home in a few days.

I guess my concern is do you think they are sick or something happened during development like the incubator had some faulty thing happen? these are just mutts so its not the end of the world if I don't get the chick I liked, but I was kind of looking forward to it. He was cream with brown spots all over its back. And I was the first person to ever hold him. [​IMG] I bought a chick from them before that turned into a little mutt rooster who seems to be one of my hardiest little chickens. He was tan when I got him and at 5 weeks looks like a RIR mutt with dark brown flecks in his feathers and lightly feathered legs.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like incubator problems to me, but I can only go by what I have read since I've never used one.

3. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    That would be my guess but I too have not used an incubator before, but judging by the joints being actually malformed on the one I think it happened due to something during development Aka incubator was turned off or power went out etc. ? But if it's some sort of chick disease I want to know. X)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by