Newly Hatched Chicks Have "Issues"

suki'smom

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Central Wisconsin
Out of 9 chicks I have 3 that can't really walk. One has curled toes, one has legs that don't straighten, and one I can't really pin what is going on but one of its legs seems to be out to the side more. There were temperature fluctuations during incubation (high of 102 degrees a few times, and lows of 96 degrees a few times) and honestly I didn't think I would get any to hatch at all. Is there anything I can do for these chicks or should they be destroyed? I am waiting to see if any more will hatch. I am concerned that those will have deformities as well.

I just went through something similar. I will preface by saying I am not good at culling. So that was not an option for me. I have never done it before and have always thought I would have nightmares forever if I were to cut a living thing's head off. However, I posted on here a couple days ago that I helped a bantam hatch (it clearly needed help) only to find out it could not walk. The toes were curled up and the legs were awkward to say the least. I posted and got a response saying that I could bandaid the straightened toes onto a piece of cardboard and leave it there for a day or two and the chick would be just fine. I tried this. The bandaid came off pretty quickly and I knew exactly when that happened because the chick stopped peeping loudly when it came off. I got a little more creative and tried to super glue the feet to the cardboard instead. I left the super glued 2cm x 2 cm piece of cardboard on the feet and gave it a little time. After peeping very loudly for a half hour straight and what seemed to be a significant amount of discomfort, I decided to cull. I cried and took a sharp pair of scissors to it and ended the suffering. Hopefully I don't have nightmares! This was an extremely hard decision but I think it was the right thing to do. I might suggest trying to bandaid the feet straight to some cardboard but it didn't work for me. I was really worried that it would get picked on by the others, and not be able to make it to the food or water easily. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Do a search on spraddle legs and curled toes. Look at the advice they give before you cull. If you catch it soon enough you might be able to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom