Newly hatched chicks, help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by honeythechicken, Apr 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. honeythechicken

honeythechicken Songster

Jan 1, 2017
    Buckinghamshire England
    Hi all,
    I recently made a thread about some eggs I was incubating and because they had detached air cells: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/detached-air-cells.1303951/
    Egg number 2 and 3 have hatched now. 2 Looks like it didn't absorb all of its yolk and when it hatched some gooey liquid came out, when should I take it out? It keeps trying to drink of its wet feathers and looks tired. It is quiet compared to 3 who is chirping all the time. Its been about 6-7 hours since 2 hatched and 30 minutes to a hour since 3 hatched. They keep pushing egg 6 around, I can see where it pipped and sometimes movement but 3 and 2 are pecking at it and the humidity has shot up to 95%. Is that okay for 6 or should I somehow lower it? Also below them is extremely wet because of the humidity, what should I do about that?(They are bantams) Thanks!

2. honeythechicken

honeythechicken Songster

Jan 1, 2017
    Buckinghamshire England
    Update: I managed to get the incubator dry and 2 and 3 seem more comfortable, but they keep bothering 6. The egg has rolled around quite a lot because of the chicks pushing it around, sometimes the area where it first pipped was facing the floor. I can see 6's beak through the membrane, as the egg has cracked there and a piece of shell has fallen off. But it's not making any attempts at breaking through, and whenever it tries to the other chicks start nudging it. This the first time we've hatched chicks so I'm not sure what to do right now. Should I just wait and see what happens? 15561302586841636192295693243547.jpg

3. ChickenHooked

ChickenHooked Chirping

Mar 25, 2013
    I’m new at incubating as well, but hatched 12 yesterday. Can you move some to your brooder? I usually only left 2 hatched in bator at one time when at all possible. Once they dried they went in the brooder. If not they really antagonized new hatches and batted around unpatched eggs too much for my liking

4. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Following out of curiosity.
    :pop

Good luck!!!

5. ChickenHooked

ChickenHooked Chirping

Mar 25, 2013
    Update??

6. honeythechicken

honeythechicken Songster

Jan 1, 2017
    Buckinghamshire England
    6 hatched!:ya:jumpy He/she took a lot of time unlike the others. Although, it seems like 3 has a splayed leg, I will try to fix that. After 6 dried I moved them to the brooder. Now they are snuggled up under the heat plate, I will get pictures in a bit. Edited to fix typo

Aunt Angus and ChickenHooked like this.
  7. ChickenHooked

ChickenHooked Chirping

Mar 25, 2013
    Awesome!! Be sure to send pics of #3 too

8. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! That's great news!
    :wee