Newly hatched chicks, not sure two are gonna make it :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hokankai, May 14, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So my itty bitty mille fleur cochin chicks hatched last night and today! I had a guy incubate and hatch them for me and got 10/12 eggs hatched. Just brought them home and one didn't make it home (RIP). Two others don't look too good and I wanted to know if there was anything I could do for them.

Chick #1: laying on its belly gasping
    Chick #2: can't seem to get its feet underneath it. It flops around, even jumping a little, but it doesn't act like it has control of its head and just kind of flops around and then stops, gasping

As of right now the questionable ones are in a shoebox with bedding underneath the heat lamp to keep them from getting trampled. Is there anything else I can do for these little guys?

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    If it were me I would put them out of their misery. However you could try giving them some poly vi sol infant drops. You can find them at any walgreens, walmart, CVS, target, ect. Hope they make it. [​IMG]

3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    You think it's that bad? I don't know if I could cull them, but I can have someone do it for me if it's absolutely necessary. How much time should I give them before I cull? They've only been home for 10 minutes and I'd hate to do it too soon.

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    a quick solution would be to make sugar water until you can get the poly-vi-sol at the store. make sure it isn't the one with iron btw.

5. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Oh yeah I completely forgot about that part Chickie'sMoma.

I know how you feel about jumping the gun. However I have yet to "save" a chick that was gasping. They end up passing away no matter what I do to help. So I just cull so they are in any pain. Sorry about your situation.

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    do you have any save a chick on hand? I always keep it on hand and would give it in there water.

7. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I do not have any Save a Chick, but I can drive down to the Walgreens and pick up the Poly vi Sol. I needed it for one of my chicks last year, but we've moved since then and who knows where it is!

8. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Well, I decided to cull them. The gasping one's breathing was getting shallow, and the other was convulsing and looked pretty bad. [​IMG]

Thanks for the info you guys, I'll be sure to watch the rest carefully. Should I add poly vi sol to their water in general? Or only on a "as needed" basis?

9. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    [​IMG] sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by