1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newly hatched chicks pecking pipped eggs and caused bleeding

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandarin1, May 4, 2016.

1. mandarin1

mandarin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    I currently have eggs in the hatcher and two chicks that hatched pecked another egg that had pipped causing the pipped egg to bleed. I immediately took out the two that were hatched and then took a little piece of shell of where the beak was at on the bleeding egg, so it could breathe, but is there anything I can do about the bleeding? Will this baby still be able to hatch? Any advice on what to do would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Some people apply a little cornstartch to the membrane where the blood is. I usually just use a wet q-tip moisten and wipe away and leave it be, especially if it's not a significant amount of blood. It should be able t hatch just fine as long as there is nothing else wrong with it.

3. mandarin1

mandarin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    I actually didn't put anything on it and the blood looks like it is drying up. I raised my humidity more, because now I'm worried about the membrane drying out. It's beak is right where the membrane is exposed and I'm afraid if I wet it it could possibly drown it. I included a picture, I don't know if you can see, but the beak is right next to the air cell line. I'm also worried about it being able to breath okay, because part of the membrane is still covering it's beak, but I'm afraid if I pull it back anymore it's going to start bleeding more.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by