Newly hatched chicks, should i leave mama and baby in coop?

Kateb910

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
Our hen hatched her baby today, i am questioning what to do....First let me begin with we have 2 broody hens. Last week our hen Ebony hatched one of her eggs it was fine that evening the next morning we went to check on baby and mama and the baby was gone.. Now our 2nd hen Lucille hatched a egg this morning baby is good. Lucille and baby are in nesting box fairly high up for a baby, im not sure it will or can get down to eat or drink..My questions are Does mama help baby down? Should i seperate the 2 in my intermediate little pen? And im nervous because last baby came up missing along with 5 other eggs the hens were sitting on during this whole process

I would make sure the new chick can be low with food water and proper temps for brooder environment. I would keep mama with. Can you make a safe low nest for them.

I would make sure the new chick can be low with food water and proper temps for brooder environment. I would keep mama with. Can you make a safe low nest for them.
I will not be able to make a low enough one where the other chickens cant get to it in the coop. Will chickens eat other hens babies? Because last week our newly hatched chick disappeared in less than 24 hours

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Here is a good resource article. This woman placed a heating pad in her regular coop and made a separated area for the chicks to run to for safe keeping it’s called a panic room. They divide part of the current coop. This kept the flock together but again everything is low. The other option is to separate the chick to a brooder till older and reintroduce later back to the flock when 6 weeks old and brooder temps weaned to 70 degrees. If outside temps are freezing might need a heater for them to run to. Behaviorally they do well if can keep together and learn from the elders. If having trouble surviving may try separate brooder till older.

Back
Top Bottom