Newly hatched chicks with red like droppings

1 Critter Camp

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
Kentuckky
I have hatched the chicks in an incubator so they have not been outside. Some one is having red liquid droppings... can the adults pass cocci to the eggs?
I have probiotic/vitamin water and medicated chick feed.

They are about 2 weeks old.

Any ideas? No other symptoms other than that.

Thanks

Last edited:
Cocci can come into the brooder via equipment/hands/etc. It has happened to others before and no one knows exactly which thing was the culprit, but there they are with the coccidiosis, so it does happen.

Yes with liquid blood in the poo, if they were my chicks I would give the Corid 9.6% liquid (it is in the cattle section of the feed store) and they also have powder. I give 9.5 ml of the 9.6% liquid (powder has different dose) per gallon for 5 days as the sole drinking water to all the exposed chickens. I mix a new solution daily.

They can still get it when on medicated chick feed.

Last edited:
Should I treat ALL of my chickens which are outside... I assume so!
We are in for about 8 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow so it will probably have to wait for a couple of days.
I'll get Corid as soon as I can!

Thanks for your reply!!!

Should I treat ALL of my chickens which are outside... I assume so!
We are in for about 8 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow so it will probably have to wait for a couple of days.
I'll get Corid as soon as I can!

Thanks for your reply!!!
No just the ones exposed to the poo of the sick one. The poo becomes highly concentrated with cocci when they are sick.

You see, there are cocci everywhere in the soil. The older ones should be immune to it by now. Of course if they are acting ill then do please tell us, but I am assuming they are well and the cocci is affecting only your itty bitties in the brooder.

You are welcome!

Here is an article:
http://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/ahp/disease_links/images/coccidia.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom