Newly hatched chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by scobiefam, Jun 20, 2016.

1. scobiefam

scobiefam New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    I put some eggs under a broody hen. She hatched 3 [​IMG] I also hatched 6 in the incubator. They are 3-4 days old now. Can we put the 6 we hatched under the hen with the other 3 or would she kill them? If this is safe to do this, when is the best time to do it? This is all new to me, so learning all the time, and loving every minute. My 9 & 10 year old are helping me, and what an experience they are having. The 9 year old shrieked with excitement when the chick was seen under Sylv our hen [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Congrats!!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on your chicks :clap You could try gently slipping them under her at night when it's dark. This is the best time to do this as then hen and the chicks should be calm and settled at night. If all is quiet leave them with her but check as soon as you can in the morning to make sure she has accepted them.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    @scobiefam congrats on the new addition to the flock. I agree with
    @Yorkshire Coop I think you should try what she recommended. I am so happy you joined and since your questions is answered I am going to welcome you to our roost. Basically in BYC you should try to ask and answer as many questions as you wish. There is no pressure in answering every question. You do not have to answer a question if you do not know or do not want to. BYC was created basically for chicken owners to get together have fun and learn from each other. This was our past, present, and future. So I hope you can help make BYC even better than it is today and a good way to do that is to go to our Learning Center and become a expert lol.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    All the best of luck to your and your flock especially the new ones!
    Justin [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on the hatch!

If the broody hatch isn't too old, yes, definitely do as Yorkshire Coop suggested, slip them in at night only. Usually broodies will take them if they are the same age as hers and with her very close to her own hatchlings ages. But always keep a close eye on them for a couple of days. If they are doing ok after a couple of days, she has no doubt accepted them.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If she tucks the incubator chicks under her, that is a good sign that she has accepted them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by