1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scobiefam, Jun 20, 2016.

1. scobiefam

scobiefam New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    I would firstly like to say Hi[​IMG] as i'm new to this. I hope I'm in the right thread.

I put some eggs under a broody hen. She hatched 3 [​IMG] I also hatched 6 in the incubator. They are 3-4 days old now. Can we put the 6 we hatched under the hen with the other 3 or would she kill them? If this is safe to do this, when is the best time to do it? This is all new to me, so learning all the time, and loving every minute. My 9 & 10 year old are helping me, and what an experience they are having. The 9 year old shrieked with excitement when the chick was seen under Sylv our hen [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. RoseMary12

RoseMary12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I highly recommend not combining the groups. The hen would almost certainly kill the other group as she is very protective of her babies.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The time to do it "easily" would have been in the first day or two after the eggs she was sitting on started hatching.
    Adding new ones to the mix now may not go well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by