Newly hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jadell, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I walked out to the coop this moring to find one of my broody hens finally hatched some eggs. This is my first time hatching, so I have a few questions. I was wondering if I need to put them in their own little area. I want to keep momma with them. They are with the rest of my chickens at the moment. None of my neighbors seperated them when I was a kid, but I'm not exactly sure. Will momma make sure they have food, or do I need to put out some chick starter? That's all I can think of right now, any advice will be apprecaited!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Hi

I have never had chicks with a hen before, I am guessing you should put out some chick food, or maybe Mum will find some grubs or something.

I don't think you need to separate them, just watch to see if any of the other chickens attack.

[​IMG]

3. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Some mothers are very protective so for your other chickens sake and the safety of the chicks. I would seperate them and yes you need to feed the chicks, mother is not going to whip anything up for them. Good luck.

4. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I built a little hay bale house for them today so they can be seperate along with their own food and water. I hope this works well, I have 3 other hens setting right now! The babies look great though. It took mum a minute to figure out what was going on, but now they are happily nested in their new home.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by