newly hatched chicks

neicee1986

Hatching
12 Years
May 20, 2007
Our chickens are having chicks, but they are dieing before they get out of the coop. We don't know if the rooster is killing them or if the mother is. Brought in the ones we found alive, and have in small cage with heat lamp. Is that what we need to do?

It sounds like you're doing the right thing, Neicee. I know a lot of roos will kill chicks even if they're his offspring, for some reason--bad roos! Taking the babies and brooding them yourself sounds like the only way to ensure they make it in this situation.

I'm sorry about your lost chicks, but it sounds like you're on the right track now. Good luck!

Here is a link to one of the hatchery web sites where they give some care suggestions. http://www.idealpoultry.com/care.htm If you don't have a chick waterer you can make one out of a plastic peanut butter jar and a shallow dish that is larger than the jar. Cut or drill a few holes in the jar just below the level of where the lip of the dish would be when you set the jar in it. You fill the jar full of fresh water and screw on the lid and quickly put it in the dish. Water will come out into the dish and they can drink from it with out falling in. I did this with a larger vinegar jug and a shallow pie pan when I was in a pinch. Otherwise, get some chick starter and you should be fine.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom