Newly hatched chics with "blisters" or "cyst" or something like that

tadandrita

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
Just finished my hatch. Including bantams from my flock, and other large species from my friends flock. I noticed on the back of the neck of one, top of the head of another, shoulder of a third, and throat of a fourth (which did not live) ONE pea size cyst or blister..air or fluid filled.....not sure. Some of the afflicted were bantams other were large breeds. So it was not breed specific or flock specific. I asked my friend whom I TOTALLY TRUST, and he has never seen this before. I think I will wait to see if it is naturally absorbed by chic.....if not..I gotta think of the big picture. OH BTW all chics appear to be healthy and vigorous. Thanks in advance for everyones insight and advise.
jumpy.gif
hmm.png

Last edited:
Is it a cyst or just where a certain part of the chick's body was pressed against the internal pip hole? It's kinda like a human baby whose head is warped from hanging out in the birth canal a bit too long. I'm thinking things will look more normal tomorrow. Congratulations and good luck.

looks like a blister we would get with new shoes or raking the yard too long without gloves, or a blood blister minus the blood. the one that was on top of the head was quite vascular of course.

does it bother them? or just you? could it be a by product of this heat wave? Have you tried to drain them? have any of them showed any other sign of being ill?

Give it two day three max and you should it start to reduce. You can softly stroke them front top to bottom and it will help move it along. Just had a peachick hatch like this. He is completely normal today.

At hatch
cf90644d.jpg

One day
e5d0e565.jpg

Today
9b37bbab.jpg

He had curled toes which are almost fixed and is hobbled to prevent splay since his toes are taped.

Shellie

I haver never seen it either but would bet it had something to do with temps in the incubator since eggs came from different places...

Back
Top Bottom