Newly hatched ducking not opening eye.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenpal147, Aug 28, 2014.

1. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    I have a duckling that hatched last night. It could open both of its eyes last night and all of today. Just recently she is only opening one eye. There is nothing coming from the eye and it is not red or swollen. It looks completely normal she just wont open it. what's wrong with it and what should I do.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I know that ducklings need to be able to dip their heads in water to keep their eyes, nares and ears free of debris and avoid infections. Can you let her splash her face for a few minutes in some clean lukewarm water in a cup? On the Duck Forum, at the top of the list of threads, there is a link to Stickies. In there is a thread on raising ducklings. It explains a head washer.

Of course we need to keep them from risking drowning, but a safe head washer is a good idea.

In the meantime, I would make a mild saline solution and mist her face with it, see if that helps.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/tc/s...line-lavage-or-irrigation-for-sinusitis-topic

Does she have water 24/7 in something like a chick waterer for drinking?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  3. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Yes she does. She is playing in a shallow puddle of water in my sink right now and her closed eye that is open as of right now seems to be looking directly into my soul for the moment

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by