1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Newly hatched duckling issues...? Or is this all normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Muse, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Muse

Muse In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Brenham, TX
    This is my newly hatched duck, we were totally unprepared for him to hatch today! He was the only one that hatched out of 2. He was born with a yolk sac I believe still attached. Also his feet are inverted! We don’t have a heat lamp so he is in the incubator! I mashed peas for him since we don’t have starter feed, I can’t get to the store until my bf gets back and hopefully that will be before 5:30 if not it will have to wait until 7:30 tomorrow morning. We have a damp towel that he is standing on so the sac stays moist. I’m really worried about that and his feet, any advice??

Attached Files:

casportpony likes this.

2. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    I'm not trying to judge you, but you should have been better prepared if you have eggs being set by a broody or in your incubator. You should have had food and a brooder prepared. This was very poor planning on your part.

Now, let me tag a few of our duckie people, to see if they can recommend anything:

@WVduckchick @casportpony and toss in @rjohns39 for good luck!

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Get him off of the wet towel. A wet towel could introduce bacteria to his umbilicus.
    duckling_1.png

Here is one of a duckling that didn't fully absorb.
    [​IMG]

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Very cute!

Can you get a picture of the belly? I'd also start looking for a friend for her.

Smuvers Farm and casportpony like this.
  5. Muse

Muse In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Brenham, TX
    Woah! That’s amazing! Thanks for sharing, I will get him off the damp towel. I did read about the splints! Thanks

casportpony likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Same duckling two days later:
    [​IMG]

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Try to get there today, that would be best.

Smuvers Farm and pitbullmomma like this.

8. Muse

Muse In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Brenham, TX
    Oh I tried! But he doesn’t like to be held too much :/ he’s very active and I’m afraid our ducks have stopped laying eggs because it has gotten too cold!! I may have to order some? Ducks are out of season for babies because it’s november.

casportpony likes this.
  9. Muse

Muse In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Brenham, TX
    So did the yolk sac absorb? Did he live?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You couldn't even see that after about a week, and yes, he lived!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by