Newly hatched duckling legs??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by preciouspokey, May 24, 2010.

1. preciouspokey

preciouspokey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    My grandson and I have had so much enjoyment from hatching chicken eggs, which btw is like potato chips...can't have just one....good thing we have a lot of land lol.....anyway, we decided to try some ducklings. The first one hatched and soon was up wobbling around. But, the second one hatched then just sort of laid around. I was convinced it wasn't going to survive the hour, but he (or she) is still plugging along. The problem is I have noticed his little legs lay out to the sides instead of underneath him. If I pick him up and sort of cradle him in my hand and "hold" his legs under him correctly he acts fine. But as soon as I let go, down he goes, and out go the legs. I thought that splayed leg occurred after being on slippery surfaces for too long. But this one has been this way from the beginning. Any ideas? Can I treat it by sort of taping his legs where they should be and hope they firm up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    might be spay leg. duckyfromoz helped a gosling with spay leg not too long ago. i hope she jumps on later to give you some advise.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They can have symptoms from right when they hatch it only takes a few wobbly goes at walking and the legs can start turning outwards. It only takes a few days taping to correct it- But you have to make sure they are still able to have access to food and water- and hand feeding might be neccesary to ensure they are getting enough. Here is a pic of the little goose that I taped up.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by