Newly hatched Ducklings...HELP PLS!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jmurph, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jmurph

Jmurph Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    I thought I read everything I needed and asked all the questions I needed to ask. BUT now I have yet another one...
    My ducks hatched today about 4 - 5 hours ago. They are "drying off" in the incubator. The Brooder is ready. I know I have to put their beaks in the water, but when do I do this? when I first put them in the brooder...what about the food? do I put the food in immediately? OH my....I have 4 Pekin ducks that all hatched today. ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    yes, put their bills in the H2O as you put them in the brooder box. Also sprinkle some non medicated crumbles on papertowels and in their food dish so they can see it and grab some. They should do fine. Most ducklings are pretty hardy and eat and drink easily. The exotics are a little trickier.
    Good Luck!
    Lisa

3. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    You can put their beaks in once they dry off and rest, also, try not to drown them [​IMG] I don't even think you really need to do that, they'll probly find it when they get thirsty. You should have food in there already and you can show them it by pecking at it with your finger, they learn from their mothers what to eat when they see their mom nibbling at food.

4. Jmurph

Jmurph Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    THANKS!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by