1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly Hatched Ducks Have One Closed Eye??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jimlas, Mar 24, 2013.

1. jimlas

jimlas Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Not all, but a few of my newly hatched ducklings have one closed eye. I did wipe down with warm water.
    Is this common before they start to drink water. They are only a couple of hours old so hopefully it's just due to
    that??
    Has anyone else ever had this happened.
    There is no goop or anything so I do not believe it is sticky eye.

2. reeds16

reeds16 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    I have the same problem. Six of my 50, two week old pekins have one eye closed. I don't know what to do. Wish I could help[​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe some warm salt water and a cotton ball and just gently wipe. since they are just newly hatched they may just open up on their own unless there is drainage and it mats.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you tried some kind of Eye ointment. at 2 weeks I'm thinking something more needs to be done. are they sealed or can you see a a slit where the opening is? What have you tried.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Try Miss Lydia's suggestions. I'd post this in the incubation and/or emergency section. Not everyone here incubates so you may have more luck there.

6. jimlas

jimlas Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I think they are coming out of it now. It must be something to do with the hatching process. I have water in the brooder and they all seem to be liking that so it probably helps them
    preen and stuff. Oh, a baby duckling just hatched as I am typing this :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by