1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newly hatched ducks, super sticky?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BellLisamo, Mar 23, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    The poor dears are soooo sticky that their eyes are basically glued open. So i used a warm washcloth and wipes there faces off, and now they can shut their eyes, but what about their bodies? They are super sticky too, so they arent drying?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I am new and dont know much , maybe a bit of a humidity issue. Are they ok other wise?

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:they are fine, getting around just fine, the humidity was in the 70%+ during hatch, and for the most part from 65%+ the whole incubation

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    maybe they are actually not wet enough. they may have the 'goop' drying to them.

you may have to wash them off with some warm water. [​IMG]

5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:thats what i was thinking. i tried wiping them gently with a washcloth but they are still sticky. do you think it would be ok to wash them in warm water, and try to dry them with a towel and put them back in the bator?
    i dont want them to go into shock!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
  6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:thats what i was thinking. i tried wiping them gently with a washcloth but they are still sticky. do you think it would be ok to wash them in warm water, and try to dry them with a towel and put them back in the bator?
    i dont want them to go into shock!!

wash them under warm water really well. pat dry and tehn back into the bator. just keep warm.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree..too low humidity causes sticky chicks, especially when quite a few in the hatch ends up this way. You'll want to use higher humidity levels next time. It's all about trial and error. As long as they can move around, they should preen that up over time. They just won't cute and fluffy for a few days, but they should be fine.

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    That is residual albumen, and should be totally gone by hatch time. It can be caused by temperature, Too high or too low temperature can cause these problems. Which at hatch time can appear is if there is not enough humidity causing the duckling to dry hard as a brick to the shell, or the fluff to be hard as a brick after hatch.

9. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    thanks guys!!! better luck next time. This was my 1st hatch.. EVER!
    I'm just happy they are alive and moving around now!

10. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    I've got the same thing with my last two Trader Joe's peeps. I thought the hatch was over, dropped the humidity and then PIP! PIP!

They're happy and healthy, but they look like giant, crusty boogers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by