Newly hatched keet doesn't look 'right'

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by shelleyd2008, Sep 5, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have one keet hatched so far, and it doesn't look 'right' at all. Its crop area is very swollen (like it's full) and its abdomen is also very swollen. But the in-between area is very small. It looks almost like it has a bug-shaped body. I have never seen one hatch like this.

The abdomen could be from the yolk, but there is no explanation why its crop area should look full. It is still in the incubator, and looked like this when it first came out, so it hasn't eaten anything.

My camera is dead right now, so I can't get pics.

2. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    [​IMG] That doesn't sound to promising. Poor little guy.

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I've never seen one like this. I finally have a good way to describe the shape of its body: peanut. That's what the body of this poor baby looks like. It is still in the bator, patiently waiting on its buddies to join it, but I've never seen a bird hatch looking like this!

Does anyone know what it could be?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Not sure. The bottom half of the peanut is probably the yolk sac, but not sure about the top half. I've had a few chicks with what seemed like water under their skin in a lump, but they all grew up just fine. Good luck with the keet.

5. N2tropicAL

N2tropicAL Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    anniston AL
    how's peanut doing today?

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It seems to be doing all right, it just looks weird. Hopefully it will make it, I'm having an awful time hatching my guineas' eggs this year! This looks to be the only one to hatch out of 8 eggs [​IMG]

7. toredano

toredano Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    You think it could have gulped air into the sack while hatching ? and the air is trapped?

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Poor little 'peanut' didn't make it. It died today [​IMG]

9. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Sorry about peanut. [​IMG] It just sounds like she was born with something wrong. Poor little critter. At least you gave her a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by