newly hatched nutsy chick...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IggiMom, May 12, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    A chick just hatched out and it is staggering around all over the other eggs and the thermometer and cheeping very unhappily.

What is wrong with it? I am afraid it is going to burn its little head on the heating element (LG).

Does this ever happen?

I put it in with three older chicks, but I am a little afraid to leave it there, and it doesn't seem any happier in there, loudly cheeping and distressed acting.

But of course it can't burn itself.

The other three older chicks look rather shocked. What a ill-mannered chick!

2. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

It sounds normal to me. It is very disorienting when they hatch, and their muscles are getting their first work-out after being cramped up. Some flopping and klutziness is to be expected for the first day.

3. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Oh, ok. The other three, when they hatched, just seemed to sleep for the most part, until they dried out.

Do you think it is likely to burn itself?

It just seemed so unhappy, but it didn't seem very happy in with the three bigger chicks, either, so I put it back in the incubator.

I hear some more tapping in there, so perhaps if some buddies hatch out it will be happier.

Thanks for your answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by