Newly hatched peachick question

verthandi

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Maine
I have one peachick that hatched about 3 hours ago. It doesn't appear to have any health problems, navel looks great, nice big chick, it is drying off nicely, but has not been able to get to its feet. Feet and legs appear functional. Is this normal for them to take a while to be able to stand up? I am use to hatching regular chicks that seem to be off and running pretty quickly, so I am a little concerned. There are three more peachick eggs in the incubator ready to hatch so I have left this chick in there and not messed around with the incubator.

This chick did start peeping last night, pipped by morning and took most of the day to work its way out of the shell. It's quiet active and peeping, but nothing that I could call excessive.

I know there are several of you raise peafowl and I would value your input.

(AM update, it is up and moving around, eating and drinking and spoiled rotten. Removed him from incubator as he was going to get burned on the heating element, he is so tall).
2200_dsc01768.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations!
Yes peachicks take a few hours to start walking around. They dont come sprinting out of the shell like some birds do... by tomorrow he'll be running around your brooder box, and by the wekend he'll be trying out his new wings.... they can fly REALLY young.
Good luck with the rest of your hatch.

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, that makes me feel better. Are they normal smarter than the everyday chicken? This little one is too cool. I'm use to the chicks not looking for food right off, by 10 last night I had to go to the barn and get food for him, he was picking away at things in the brooder and convinced he was starving. Plus he(it) will take itself out of its temporary towel nest and go potty at the far end of the brooder. Then return to its nest to nap. The towel is still absolutely clean.

ohh how cute is that!
Yes peafowl are a curious bird they pick at everything.
Your baby isnt hungry .... just being inquisitive.
hard boil him an egg, cut it in half and watch him go nutz on the yolk
smile.png
peachicks are great entertainment
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom