newly hatched polish chick WITH 5 TOES?!?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickie'sMoma, May 14, 2009.

1. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i just had a cute chick hatch this afternoon but have noticed that it is very strange for being a polish. i won these eggs on ebay and was told they are pure bred.

IT HAS 5 TOES!? it also has a fully black beak, black shanks and has hardly any other color other than black on it's body other than a tiny patch of cream on it's head and some along it's belly.

my question is: has this happened to anyone else with polish-5 toes and nearly completly black? or should i assume that the seller doesn't know that somewhere in her flock or pedigree line is a 5 toed bird?

i've hatched out 3 bantam polish and all have looked like they should, but i have not tried the standards before and i am still a novice at some of the colors they should come in. i've been using a turner in the incubator and hear that they can cause problems with the toes, but only 2 of my 3 bantams are missing the middle tallon on one foot each. my other has perfectly fine feet. just the personality is flakey!

i'm sorry but i can't get any good pictures of it at the moment. too many other eggs in the way that i can't move yet from the incubator.

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

could it be a houdan? they have 5 toes

3. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i was thinking that but i tried hatching those and there is a definate color difference. more white on the body and head. also larger chicks.

4. arllcountrygirl

can you post a pic? that would help. [​IMG]

5. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    these may not be the greatest pics at the moment. he/she hasn't fluffed out fully yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. arllcountrygirl

looks like a houdan to me. I just hatched one out - had more yellow color to it but the heads are the same. show me a pic when it is dry and I can tell you more. [​IMG]

Some people don't know the difference between a houdan and a polish. [​IMG] Maybe the seller honestly thought they had polish - heck I would rather have a houdan [​IMG]

7. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    here's the pic of the parents' the person had on their listing. you might be right that it is a houdan now that i see that pic again.

i'd be happy too if they were houdans! we have a local farm that has the very rare white variety and i'm thinking of getting a few next year from them.

[​IMG]

8. arllcountrygirl

They look more like houdans
    Here is a pic of my dd - she recently lost her hen due to a racoon. [​IMG] Not that great of a pic b/c we had just got them.
    [​IMG]
    My DD polish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looking at them they almost look kinda like Silver Spangled Spitzhauben or maybe a mix.
    Go to http://rhfarm.angelfire.com/poultry.html and scroll down the page to see what they look like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by