Newly hatched quail can't get feet under him...can I help him?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Emilys3guppies, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    I had to help one of the coturnix hatch...it pipped and zipped a teeny bit before doing nothing for 36 hours. I helped it zip and then it popped out of the shell and has been rolling around for 3 hours now. It can't seem to get it's feet under it.

I'm a new bird owner so I'm not sure what to look for, but I hear about spraddle leg alot. I'm going to research that a little bit more, but thought I'd post too incase anyone has any quick advice.

Here's a pic of the poor little guy.
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, that is spraddle leg. What you need to do is fold the legs under the baby like they are supposed to be, then take a bandaid, cut it in half lengthwise, and use the gauze portion of the bandaid as a spacer between the legs. Tape each leg with one side of the bandaid. You want to do this low, like where the 'ankle' would be. Leave the bandaid on it for a few days at least. After you take the bandaid off, the legs should be okay, if not retape and leave on for another few days to a week.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  3. Emilys3guppies

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    I used a small size bandaid but it seems wide between the babies feet. How much space should ideally be between the ankles? 1/2"?

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It depends, just make sure that the feet are as far apart as they would be normally (that's why you need to fold the legs up 'right' first, to see how far to space the feet). I think the gauze is about 1", and that's how I do mine. A little too far apart is better than too close, but not too far apart, if that makes sense.

5. Emilys3guppies

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Thank you very much, Shelley. I've got him nicely splinted now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by