1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly hatched quail issues PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GoggleHat, Apr 19, 2016.

1. GoggleHat

GoggleHat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    My quail just started to hatch and the majority were fine, but the last 2 to hatch are having problems. One is lop-sided in movement and can't stand up, and the other has, I believe, spraddle leg. I waited a couple of hours before I moved them from the incubator to the brooder, but they still have trouble moving. Is there anything I can do?

2. Trapper Luke

Trapper Luke Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    You can type in "spraddle leg" in the search bar on this website and it'll pull up a bunch of good info to fix spraddle leg. Never had to do it myself but it seems to be a pretty easy thing to fix with chicks

3. GoggleHat

Mar 12, 2016
    The spraddle leg doesn't seem to be much of a problem anymore, but the one that keeps lying on its side and is unable to stand up is still worrisome.

4. GoggleHat

Mar 12, 2016
    Nevermind, it's dead. Thanks for nothing, crap forum.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  5. paneubert

paneubert Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Yes, it is this forum that killed the chick. I know you are frustrated, but come on...... Posting crap like that is going to make people SUPER look forward to helping you next time. How are the rest of them? Hope they do well!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  6. GoggleHat

Mar 12, 2016
    ...I didn't blame the forum for the death of my chick, I blamed it for giving me nothing other than "Look up Sprattle leg." Which is rather common knowledge for the situation while I clearly needed first-hand solutions for this issue on the tiny, hard to manage, quail chicks legs.

7. paneubert

paneubert Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    The person said they had not dealt with it personally, so they gave the best suggestion they could. You have essentially crapped on their honest attempt to point you in the right direction and have implied that unless someone knows exactly how to fix your problem in great detail, they should keep their mouths shut. Just want to make you aware. Not trying to start an argument. Just trying to make sure you know how you are coming off when you make the comments you do.

How are the other babies? How many hatched?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by