1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly Hatched Quail Not Eating Much

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ThaJuicyJuice, Mar 20, 2011.

1. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Hello, I just had quail hatch starting yesterday. Should I be concerned if they do not seem to be eating or drinking much. They do a lot of sleeping and huddling around each other. The brooder is 95 degrees. They do peck around at the food, but not for very long and I have seem some drink a little. Should I put several water dishes around? Other food other than gamebird starter?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    How about grinding the gamebird starter to a cornmeal consistency. They usually are pigs. Huddling isn't a good thing. Make sure the lamp is closer to them. Should be around 97 in the brooder.

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I gently dip the beak of each chick into the water dish being the big dork that I am I peck the food with my finger until about half of the chicks are eating good they will teach the others you want the temp what Alex said at chick level they are short little buggers [​IMG] good luck with your flock

4. matefrio

matefrio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    I've ground my game bird starter to almost powder. Seems to work for me.

5. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks folks

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    By Quail Are We Talking Coturnix?

No Matter... Since Almost All Quail Are Lil Fuzzy Heat Seeking Missles With Feet Try This... Use That Behavior To Your Advantage, Place Your Feed Dish Directly Under The Heat Source... Make It The Warmest Spot In Your Brooder. Also A Nice Shiney Dime Or Nickel On Top Of Feed Makes A Wonderful Attractant For Small Curious Minds To Peck At

7. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Quote:I never had a problem with mine eating but I'll have to remember that one.

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    AFTER WE WERE TAUGHT TO WORK HARD AS KIDS WE WERE THEN TAUGHT TO WORK SMART AS WELL [​IMG]

JUST USE THEIR INHERENT BEHAVIORS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE [​IMG]

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    FOR THE RECORD AND USE IT IF YOU WISH... I DONT BROOD WITH THERMOMETERS... WHY? WHEN YOU HAVE A BROODER FULL OF FUZZY LIL THERMOMETERS THAT NEVER NEED BATTERIES AND ARE ALWAYS 100% ACCURATE NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE IN THIS WORLD.... USE YOUR CHICKS AS A GUIDE. HECK THEY'RE ALREADY BOUGHT AND PAID FOR AND THE MOST ACCURATE. IF THEY ARE HUDDLING THEY ARE TOO COLD, IF THEY ARE ALL AS FAR AWAY FROM THE HEAT SOURCE AS POSSIBLE AND LANQUISHING LIKE A LOST FORIEGN LEGIONAIRE IN SOME FAR OFF DESERT THEY ARE TOO HOT, IF THEY'RE UP TEARIN AROUND PECKING AT ANYTHING THAT CATCHES THEIR ATTENTION OR EATING OR DRINKING OR PICKING ON THE VILLAGE IDIOT THEN THEY ARE JUST RIGHT [​IMG]

10. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Quote:I must be actually learning cause this what I do. I got rid of the thermometer after my first hatching [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by