Newly Hatched Question...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darkjeweler, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Darkjeweler

Darkjeweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Ok, so yesterday my first duckling hatched out. I have another 13 to hatch out hopefully today. Now my question is this... I have moved the chick into a brooder and shown it the water by dipping its bill, however, how long till the chick figures out that food is food? I have tried dipping its bill in the starter, but it just ignores it. The chick is alone right now, but I have tossed in a couple of small washcloths for it to cuddle up with. Currently the peeping is relentless, unless the chick is being held. Hope the others hatch out soon to give this little guy "Backwards" company... I was going to have him in the brooder with the 2 week old chickens, but I think they would pick/peck on him. Not really sure what gender this little one is, but I think it may be female (if I did the vent sexing right.

Well, now I am off to work leaving this little guy alone.. Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

2. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    [​IMG]So cute!!

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    CUTE! Just keep doing what you are doing. Newly hatched chicks don't have to eat until they are three days old. Keep dipping his beak in the water and food though, so that when he does need to eat, we will try eating that. (if that makes any sense...)

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Stuffed animals work real well as company. and what a cutie.. [​IMG] for the rest.

5. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Well, I had another one hatch last night so now the first one has a friend..

[​IMG]

6. GoingQuackers

GoingQuackers Out Of The Brooder

Adorable! Enjoy them as fuzzballs...they don't stay that long enough. [​IMG] My fuzzballs are teenagers already. Good luck with the rest of the hatch!

7. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Well, I have so many eggs scheduled for incubation that most will be sold shortly after hatching I hope. It is about time the parents started paying for their own feed. lol..

8. GoingQuackers

GoingQuackers Out Of The Brooder

LOL. That was my master plan too with my last hatch. I planned to keep 2 or 3...and all 9 of them are still here!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by