Newly hatched Serama is an evil toe biter!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vetgirl00us, May 19, 2010.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    One of my serama babies is running around the brooder latching onto the other chicks toes and making them scream! I mean really scream and they try to run away and the chick holds on! What can I do to keep this little meanie from hurting the others? They are all only a few hours old.

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Wow, that's ugly. Maybe debeaking? [​IMG]

3. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Maybe he is hungry.....or bored

4. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    They've got water and chick starter sprinkled about. The little sucker is like a shark. Runs up to the sleeping ones and snatches a bite of toe. They yell, he runs It's kinda funny if the babies didn't squeal so loud when he does it. It must hurt. I'll have to name him Jaws or Piranha or something.

5. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    LOL I love seramas. It might help to take this one out and show it lots and lots of extra attention. Hold it lots. Are you grinding the chick food up more fine for these small babies? Regular crumbles are just a bit too big and will need to be almost powdered for the first couple of weeks. I put mine in a blender and give it a good 20 second chop. Not sure though. This one might just be a stinker. [​IMG]

7. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I will grind some up just to be sure. I have a mortar and pestle, that should work. I can definitely tell a couple of the Seramas have got some pluck and personality for sure. They are funny already and only a few hours old!

8. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Ouch!

I had a chick that wanted to peck on everyone and then one day they all gathered together and started pecking at this particular chick and since then that chick hasn't pecked on anyone again. I think it learned its lesson about being a bully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by