1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly Hatched Sick Chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BarrettG, Sep 21, 2015.

1. BarrettG

BarrettG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    I have one chick now who was my last hatch, I think it's a he, is just standing like a drunken fool and bending his head down and then bringing his head up like it's waking up.it does it over and over for the last 3 hrs. It's not laying down or keeping it's eyes open. It is barely eating. I kind of forced it to drink. Any ideas on what I should do. I'm trying to be positive and tell my self is a day younger that's why he's not running around.I took it out of the incubator this morning.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. Naliez

Naliez Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    Sav-a-chic or some sugar water can perk up a weak chick. He might just need a little extra time to recover.

3. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida

Omg I so hope so. Should I put sugar water in the water for all chick's? I have some b12 or rooster booster. Would a little of that help? I'm new with the chick thing. I give apple cider vinegar to my big chickens. Would that be OK to my chick's?

4. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida

I actually just checked and I have some save a chick electrolytes. I put a 1/4 of the packet in a quart of water . Hopefully that helps

5. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    I think just a little drop or two of sugar water or even Gatorade can help the weak one. If he just hatched, he's probably not sick, just taking a bit longer than the others to recoup. I'm not sure about Rooster Booster or ACV. Ive not had experience using either on day-olds. I know some vitamins can be bad for chicks, particularly Iron, I think, but hopefully somebody with more knowledge will comment and be of more help. I know there's a bunch of threads on here for helping weak chicks who've just hatched. I just don't want to give you the wrong advice!

6. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida

I better read and make sure there is no iron!I am going to try the sugar water. I need to get a dropper though. I lost one chick to my 4 year old niece smh!I don't want to lose any more

7. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    Oh no! Sorry for the loss of your chick! I lost an older chick to an overly playful dog once. I felt terrible. Maybe just mix a little sugar water in a bowl and put it in a water bottle cap to dip his beak in until you can get a dropper? I found they like the taste and I don't have a problem getting them to drink a couple sips.

8. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    The chick is doing better it looks like. He still rocks back and forth but less often. The problem I have now is pasty butt. I put the 2 in warm water on their butt to pick it out. How do I prevent it or how does it happen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by