1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Newly hatched Silkie chick has beak picked off by another chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkiesnFrizzle, Jul 31, 2014.

1. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Songster Premium Member 5 Years

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    I had eggs hatch over the past 36 hours and I usually only hatch Silkies. A friend gave me some Brahma eggs to hatch for her so, I hatched both breeds at the same time. When I went to check on the babies in the incubator today, I found one of the Silkie chicks face was bloody. I inspected closer and saw that It's beak looked as if it had been pecked off....It is missing both, top and bottom of the beak, almost up to its nostrils. I found the culprit, a Brahma chick with its face covered in blood as well and pecking the comb of another Silkie chick. What can I do for the little chick? Is it possible to tube feed it? I isolated both chicks that were injured and I have carefully gotten some fluids into the beak-less chick, but it looks very painful. What can I do for this baby? Can I put some aspirin into the water I am giving it, should I give it anti biotics?

2. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Songster Premium Member 5 Years

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: