Newly Hatched Silkie with egg "glue" on him

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rechellef, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Rechellef

Rechellef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    I had 9 Silkies hatch over the past 24 hours and the first 8 came out just fine with no issues. However, the 9th one came out normally, but had so much egg on him that he stuck to the wire of the incubator. I soaked a warm paper towel and gently pried him off the wire and placed him on the damp paper towel in the incubator. It is a forced fan 'bator that I have used dozens of times and the temp and humidity were fine otherwise the other chicks wouldn't have hatched as perfectly as they did. Now he is screaming and all his fluff is glued to his body and his eyes are glued shut as well. Why did this happen to just one chick out of the bunch and is there anything I can do for him? I've been hatching for years and once in a blue moon this happens, but I still can't figure out why.

THANKS!!

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I have had this happen before, and I have no idea why.

It is perplexing when that happens. What I do is use a damp baby toothbrush, dipping it often to keep it warm and rinse the goo off, and gently brush the meant to be fuzz. It is tedious, and you don't want to let the baby get chilled, but you can slowly and gently damp brush the goo away. Use warm saline and a cotton ball or Q-tip to get the eyes unglued. Don't worry too much about getting it completely cleaned off, that fuzz will fluff up after a few days of wallowing around in the brooder with its friends!

3. Rechellef

Rechellef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Hey India - I know that's you!! You gave away your name here to me yesterday. Any-who, my dear sweet friend, thank you for the tip and thank you once again for being my "surrogate" hen. I won the Swedish Flower hens, so those eggs will be coming over next week as well!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by