newly hatched welsummer chick with yolk sac still attached

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bkvail, Sep 15, 2009.

1. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

I have not opened my incubator for 3 days - and the chicks are hatching this morning. Three are hatched now and 2 pipped.... one of the new hatchlings still has the yolk sac attached - will it be OK? It is reddish looking and about the size of a nickle and still attached and dragging behind it as it hobbles about in the incubator. This is my first chicken hatch, but I have had two quail hatches earlier this year.

2. bkvail

it is still attached, although it may be getting smaller, not sure. He's still alive anyhow.....

I have another one pipped, but the pip hole has blood in it - is that bad news? [​IMG]

3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG, i haven't get that problem then i'll let expert explained it.

i keep my finger crossed for you. [​IMG]

4. bkvail

4th one is hatched!

5. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I am far from an expert but I think that I have read that it can continue to absorb after the chick has hatched. I'm not sure if you should do anything special for it. Good luck!

6. bkvail

Quote:I hope so! It's still alive so far........ and the sac looks smaller and less ''liquidy'', but looks very red now.......

7. bkvail

well, that chick didn't make it, but there are 8 others that did and 3 others pipped and starting to 'zip' now. Only one egg of the original 13 I took from momma that appears that it's not going to hatch. (momma killed the last batch I let her set on her own, that is why I put them in incubator). I have 4 other eggs that are in there due on the 19th, but I dont' have much hope for them as they were refrigerated eggs (I set them in the incubator after I thought the hen was gone, then found her and her nest of 13 after the 4 eggs were already in the incubator) I can't wait until they fluff out - cute little welsummer babies!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by