Newly Hen-Laden in Portland

thefunkylama

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
Good afternoon, all! I'm brand-new to this bird keeping thing, though at this point I've learned a thing or two; I've had my buff Ameraucana, Bluebeard, for a little over two months, and have been living with hens for a little over 3 months. They are curious, funny little creatures, and I've found it really pleasing to care for them.

My roommate constructed our coop and run area out of recycled wood: some she found off craigslist for the main structure, and the fence around the run area is constructed from a felled tree and its limbs. It's a really unique structure and I love it, though we're realizing it's going to be a little harder to insulate this winter. It's all an adventure.

Our three hens are Black sex link (Petunia), Ameraucana (Bluebeard), and Marans x Barnevelder (Lily). Petunia is somewhere around 2 years old and lays about 5 eggs a week, Bluebeard isn't laying yet at 7 months, and Lily is 5 months and not laying (though she likes to hang out in the nest box).

I look forward to getting to know the BYC community! It's already been a great resource of information for me. Huzzah!

Back
Top Bottom