Newly Hooked on Backyard Chickens!! Help with my breed and Gender??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wantabefarmer, Apr 22, 2012.

1. wantabefarmer

wantabefarmer New Egg

Apr 22, 2012
    My family and I are first time Chicken raisers and wanted to jump right in head first! LOL. We are absolutely HOOKED and can't spend enough time with the chicks. We bought (or bought from the trough at TSC) 1 EE, 6 red pullets, 1 Tetra Link, 2 Amberlinks, and 3 Bared Rocks. we started with 7 and I couldn't stop my self from buying more so about 4 weeks later bought 6 more.

We knew that we would get some Roo's from the bunch and the more I read about identifiers the more I get confused. So I am wanting to get some input and more importantly show off our chicks. My 7 year old took the pictures. I will try to post better ones of them Later.

If you spot something cool or notable please tell.

Thanks[​IMG]

Sandra our EE
    [​IMG]
    12 oclock is "Pokey", 4 o'clock is "Chief", 7 O'clock is "Tanya"
    [​IMG]
    Dragonoid
    [​IMG]
    Top right is "Chief", the Red is "Leonitas", from left to right at the bottom"Pokey", Martha, and "Tanya"
    [​IMG]
    Sandra
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    PYour first one looks like an Easter egger rooster.

The white ones maybe tetra tints or white rock?

The red one looks like a red star or red sex link?

Last one looks like a rooster again. If it has a pea comb like the first chick, then another Easter egger cockerel.

The first and last are boys, not sure about the whites or red. Good luck. Combs turning dark pink or red before 16 weeks of age is a great indicator of boys. About 8 weeks of age, saddle feathers grow in at the base of the back near the tail. Saddle feathers are long skinny.

I don't see any barred rocks in your photos.

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

The white birds have some Leghorn in them, don't get too worried about combs--they grow big and red faster than the other breeds. What concerns me about some of those white birds and the red/white bird is the size of their legs--but I can never keep straight what they mix with each Leghorn hybrid so they might be normal pullet legs.

ETA: I think Pokey looks the most roo-ish of the white birds.

4. wantabefarmer

wantabefarmer New Egg

Apr 22, 2012
    I agree about Pokey. TSC posted The two white birds as being Amberlinks. They said a cross between rhode Islands and a Delaware??

I agree about Pokey. Funny thing is he/she came out of the red pullet trough. Lol

5. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I think amberlinks often have a red pyle look to them, so it's not too surprising they'd put them in the red pullet bin. I guess I didn't really pay attention to the breed quantities and assumed they were all tetra tints.

6. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Anything that is a sexlink should be female. I agree that the Easter Egger is a male, it is too pretty to be a girl.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sandra is a cockerel. Dragonoid is a red sex link pullet.

Pokey is iffy, but could be a white leghorn pullet, the other 2 look like pullets.

8. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    I thought that about Pokey too, might be male. Looks kinda round for a Wht Leghorn to me. There are so many crosses, they are hard to keep up with.

9. wantabefarmer

wantabefarmer New Egg

Apr 22, 2012
    That is a bummer if Sandra is a cockerel. She/ he is the most docile and friendly chick we have
    Not to mention how beautiful.

I don't have pictures of the barred rocks or the other reds yet. They are still not fully feathered or near as comfortable around the kids as the older chicks.

10. angellynne

angellynne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Delaware
    How old are they? (sorry if I missed it, but couldn't find it)

The EE looks like a hen to me.
    I agree that pokey looks like a roo. Only one in the bunch (to me, at least).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by