Newly hooked on Chickens outside Louisville, Kentucky

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gardengirl73, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Gardengirl73

Gardengirl73 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been dreaming of getting a small flock of chickens for a while. I just think they are lovely. When I would mention it my husband would kind of give me the LOOK. Well he's from the city and I'm a country girl. I like to knit and make my own yogurt. Why not chickens. Well my Dad happened to mention how great chickens would be for the kids and how they teach responsibility and are great fun. Well, now my husband doesn't think it's so off the wall after all. Great news for me. So I've spent the last couple weeks pouring over chicken articles on the internet(mostly BYC) and in books and magazines, also asking advice of friends with chickens. Last week we put in an order for some Delaware hatching eggs for our incubator. Figured the kids would really enjoy this. Also we put in an order for some lemon cuckoo Orpingtons and some Black Copper Maran/ Ameraucana cross (olive egger) eggs that will be incubated by the breeder. I have enjoyed my forays to Tractor Supply very much and have purchased all the necessaries for the brooder(a large wooden toy box my father built when I was small.) Now we have poured over coop designs. Priorities are: 1. Spacious 2. Easy to Clean 3. Aesthetically pleasing! We saw the Egg Plant and fell in love! Thank you Egg Planters!!!! Everyone is super excited! And everyone wants to name a hen or possible a rooster. (Unfortunately we will only keep one roo.) My husband likes General Tso. He's been booted off the naming commitee. We would love to get to know some folks in the area that are in the same fun boat! Thank you BYC, you're website is priceless!!!!

2. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. You will get lots of info & meet some pretty great people in the process. Enjoy your chickens/fresh eggs - its kind of addicting - lol [​IMG]

3. Gardengirl73

Gardengirl73 Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Familyochickens

Familyochickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    Indiana
    Hello from Indy...had my girls for about a year, the new batch will be here in april.....we are expanding the coop...I planned on just the six, but the kids had to go and talk me into more...it wasn't hard to swing my vote their way!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Good luck with your hatch!

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us !

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Gardengirl73, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! I am glad you are getting chickens and introducing your kids to the wonder of them! Best of luck to you and happy hatching!

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from SW Ohio....so glad you joined us

9. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welcome to BYC!!

10. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by