Newly Installed DIY Water and Feeding System

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by acsempronio, Mar 16, 2013.

1. acsempronio

acsempronio Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I installed the water and feeding parts today.

The only parts I need to add are the nipples and the pipe. The highest I can do the nipples is about 21". Does everyone think that is sufficient or should I go lower; 18-21" seems to be the preferred range around here?

For anyone interested:

The bucket is a simple 5 gallon from Home Depot. I connected it to the ABS pipe by way of a 3" ID to 4" OD reducer bushing (inside the bucket) that couples with a 4" to 3" reducer (outside the bucket.) A jigsaw cut the hole.

The ABS cap on the bottom of the tank has a slight convex characteristic to it. This makes providing inlet and outlet access difficult because of the "dome." The toilet valve actually did very well; the PVC was a different story. Make sure you find the proper washer size and use the proper drill size. I used a 1/2" male threaded coupler inside the tank, through the washer, and then a female threaded coupler to hold it all together. Make sure the hole size is exactly the bare minimum because leaks are easy on this thing. Use a spade bit for the holes. ABS was used because any PVC over 2" required me to find a specialty plumbing shop that I couldn't locate.

[​IMG]
    This is the overall view

[​IMG]
    Inlet on the right, outlet on the left. An elbow makes a maximum of 21" for the nipple height. I will need a few adapters and a toilet supply hose to connect the inlet to a PVC source pipe I will install later that will run to a water source that has yet to be installed.

[​IMG]
    Top view of water tank. Ye olde toilet valve at maximum height. I have a screw-on cap for this.

[​IMG]
    This is the 4"OD to 3"ID bushing in the bucket.

[​IMG]
    This is the 4" to 3" reducer leaving the bucket.

[​IMG]
    The feeder pipe entering the "inner" pen. It is a 90 deg street elbow to 45 deg coupler. If it seems the 45 angles too high for the birds, I can switch it out easily with a 22.5 deg coupler.

[​IMG]
    The feeder pipe entering (interior view.) I let these 5 week-old pullets play outside, today, while I did some yard work. They still have too much trouble walking up that ramp so they only tried once and then gave up.
    That's my my runty Leghorn and my Rhode Island Red doing what they do so well. Barred Rock and Orpy not shown.

[​IMG]
    This is the backyard in progress. An outer pen will be erected around the coop. A water source is currently being installed on that right corner of the compost pen. It will supply another hose hookup and the water hookup for the chickens.

The brooding box has been providing me with a constant supply of browns to add to my greens after mowing the lawn. It's been consistently hitting 150 deg F!

The fence is far from finished but I needed to do just the corner for the retaining wall/fence combination on the left, for now. The fence will eventually extend all the way to the shed (far right) which will be ripped down when the time comes. Planter boxes (unused right now on the left.)

The small planting bed against that wall will be for 2 hops bines I will be planting. I have the PVC vine trellis disassembled right now.

Input is appreciated

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Nice set-up! You can also throw a handful of feed on the ground when you vist. They love to hunt and peck. You could add a few more rungs between each rung so that the young ones will have traction as they go up the ramp.

[​IMG]

3. Twitterpate

Twitterpate Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    The whole thing is a really cool set-up. My hubby had mentioned using the toilet valve on a watering system for Alpaca's....I never thought to do it for the new chicken coop. You have now put that in my head and we'll have to try it!
    --Twitterpate

4. acsempronio

acsempronio Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks, I will consider extra rungs, but they are still to young to be out at night; it still gets into the 40's and they aren't quite fully feathered.

4" is the minimum size for any fill valves I've ever seen. This system will use 2 push-in nipples on 3/4" PVC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by