1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly joined! (: Avid chicken lover, flock tender, etc.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Beanzie, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Beanzie

Beanzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    I have loved chickens since I was young, and I figured why not come to a community of chicken lovers. [​IMG] I was the always the one as a kid knew every breed of chicken we had, how old they were, and which eggs they lay. Most questions I google on chickens generally send me to BYC so, now I hopefully can ask a few of my own when the time comes! I currently harbor a flock of thirty chickens.

My favorite breed hands down is the Brahma. Some of our best hens were Light Brahmas, and I had two Light Brahma hens named TeTe and Angel who were the most personable and just darling hens to be around. Sadly last winter my last two LB hens passed away at a ripe old age, but I bought some Dark Brahma pullets for old time's sake. They were not raised in the house, but the summer kitchen, so were not as marvelous as my previous hens, but they still are good hens!

One of my Dark Brahma hens.
    [​IMG]

I currently have five Dark Brahma hens, 5 White Cochin hens, 1 Black Cochin hen, 5 Red EE/Americauna hens, 3 Black Silkie hens, 1 White Silkie hen, 3 Black Silkie roosters, 1 California White hen, 1 Blue Andalusian hen (the smartest darn hen, and she's an old cuss, too!), and 2 small hens that I am unsure of their breed. Plus my three roosters, two are Red Stars and the third was a drop off and I don't know what he is. Handsome, though! [​IMG]

Here is my mystery roo, I'm sure someone can bring light as to what he is?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This summer I really want to hatch out some chicks, and have been looking all over the forum for cross breed chicks and their outcomes, and I have thus far been impressed! I may hatch out my Red Star X chicks, but I was hoping to find a nice 'herdsire' for my flock, maybe a Brahma, Salmon Faverolles, or Americauna? I had a nice Wyandotte rooster who died a while back, looking at him he would have made a nice baby daddy, and he was a nice rooster, too. My Red Star roosters are can be SOBs when they get in a mood. That is why we have the two, and not the five we started with. [​IMG] Nasty roosters like that have earned their place in the boiling pot.

This was our nastiest rooster outside of the fence harassing one of our Silkie roosters. We gave him away with 10 Polish hens (not a fan of Polish chickens.) The lady thought she was going to tame him, but honestly I am upset I didn't get to make soup out of him myself, he was a big, meaty bird. I was tempted, considering he would FLY ACROSS THE YARD just to attack you.
    [​IMG]

I hope this forum will enlighten me with plenty of information. This coming summer I am running a market garden, so I hope to really do some renovation concerning the chickens. Chicken tractors, big pastures, bugs, eggs, the whole nine yards. [​IMG]Can't wait for summer. :) Thank you all for your time, I hope you got something out of this introduction. And know that I am always the one to share photos, so expect it!

2. SoonerSims

SoonerSims Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Welcome to BYC, Beanzie. Hope you enjoy the site. Lot's of good folks and good info. BTW, pics are always nice.

-JB

3. amyandkids

amyandkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    [​IMG]Welcome to BYC!!!! We love pics so post away[​IMG]!! I am looking to get some brahmas in the near future. Yours are beautiful!!

4. Beanzie

Beanzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks guys for the welcome. Brahmas are the best. Even the ones raised with less human contact warm up to people, they are smart, lovable, and just gosh darn purty! They are good layers, too. They truly have it all. :)

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome TO BYC! Pretty flock!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  7. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome to BYC.

Another Brahma Lover...Yipeee. [​IMG] I love my Brahmas. I had a Buff hen pass away last year. Just now ready to get a new one. And I am picking up 2 Buff Brahma pullets tomorrow. But I also have 2 light Brahma Hens (Lacy and Lacie). They are so hard to tell apart. Always together. Then of course, 2 roos. One dark (Carver) that hangs out with the Lacies and another that is their offspring (Babysitter Casnova) that sweet talks the mix flock. He is the best, he even helps the hen with the chicks.

Glad to have you join us. Make sure to check out the Brahma thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/169790/brahma-thread

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I've never seen a dark Brahma before so thanks to you, I am learned something today.

10. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC!

I agree, summer can't get here fast enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by