• Respiratory illness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Broodyness

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PoncePoultry

In the Brooder
May 26, 2018
Hello peeps, my name is Janice, I have had 7 backyard chickens (city bylaws allows 5...I mean 7) and no roos, darn. Anyways, I’ve had a lot of fun with them and a whole new animal learning experience which I have read up on continuously. I have a mix of heritage birds from a great hatchery here in the province. My mix of birds consists of two buff Orpingtons, a barred rock, an ameraucana, Canadian chantecler, caramel queen & a Delaware. Two weeks ago I lost my caramel queen and wasn’t sure why, this week another sick bird so watching her very closely. It’s so hard to tell what’s wrong. She doesn’t want to eat or drink, lays in the coop all day. Broody? Sick? Grrr! Two days ago I brought her in, gave her an Epsom salts bath, dropper fed her water, kept her quiet in a crate overnight in the kitchen, looked ok in the morning, put her back in the run, same thing. Brought her in treated her with neomycin 325 by dropper, she ate a couple mealy worms, put her back, today, same thing. Any suggestions? No vets here treat chickens, would have to drive her about five hours away to nearest vet, we talked on the phone and he suggested the antibiotics. Thanks for reading.❤️Happy chicks

Hello peeps, my name is Janice, I have had 7 backyard chickens (city bylaws allows 5...I mean 7) and no roos, darn. Anyways, I’ve had a lot of fun with them and a whole new animal learning experience which I have read up on continuously. I have a mix of heritage birds from a great hatchery here in the province. My mix of birds consists of two buff Orpingtons, a barred rock, an ameraucana, Canadian chantecler, caramel queen & a Delaware. Two weeks ago I lost my caramel queen and wasn’t sure why, this week another sick bird so watching her very closely. It’s so hard to tell what’s wrong. She doesn’t want to eat or drink, lays in the coop all day. Broody? Sick? Grrr! Two days ago I brought her in, gave her an Epsom salts bath, dropper fed her water, kept her quiet in a crate overnight in the kitchen, looked ok in the morning, put her back in the run, same thing. Brought her in treated her with neomycin 325 by dropper, she ate a couple mealy worms, put her back, today, same thing. Any suggestions? No vets here treat chickens, would have to drive her about five hours away to nearest vet, we talked on the phone and he suggested the antibiotics. Thanks for reading.❤️Happy chicks
SO sorry! it sounds like you are doing everything you can! by any chance could she be egg bound? LOVE your breeds btw!

Thank you! My girls are Pearla(barred rock) Toffee(caramel queen) Betty boop(ameraucana) Mrs Nixon(Delaware) sweet pea(buff Orpington) charlotte(buff Orpington)& patty cake(canadian chantecler) I love them all!
Nice! if you read my signature line it tells you all the names and breeds of my chicks. exept my roo turned out to be a girl:barniei am like the only person who can't get a roo from the feed store!!! and it doesn.t have Tina, my 5 year old polish hen that lays every day! I get her less than a week ago and she is the sweetest!

Thxs for replying! I thought possibly but it doesn’t feel hard back there, very dark green runny poop though, thought the Epsom salt bath would help, any other suggestions????
is her tail pointed down? also you can message her bottom with olive oil and it should help if she is.

Welcome to BYC!
:yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!
How old are your birds?
What do you feed them?
How does their crop feel? Any smell coming from the mouth?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

:frow
smiley_emoticons_mttao_kanada.gif

Back
Top Bottom