Newly laying chickens laying EVERYWHERE!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MTMom, Aug 17, 2010.

1. MTMom

MTMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Today was the first day I discovered that my 21 week old White Rocks started laying eggs. The first ones were under my girl in one of the nesting boxes (good girl!), but then I found one of my other girls had laid 3 eggs under my deck! I have a total of 23 chickens (not all WRs), and although I lock them up in the coup every night, I like to let them roam around my 3 acre yard during the day. I am wondering if anyone knows how I can train them to lay in the nesting boxes so that we don't have to go on daily 'egg hunts'? I was thinking about keeping my oldest girls that are the ones laying locked in the coup and run for a few days so that they will hopefully get into the habit of laying in the boxes. Is this a possibility, or just a dream?[​IMG]

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    needing answers on this too- most my girls lay in the box, or in the feed bin.... but i have a couple younger ones that lay under the car, under the porch, by the creek.... hmmmmm

3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    i had the same problem for a while, i just didnt let them roam around the yard for just under a week and the stopped laying outside and now most of them lay in the nest boxes but some of them lay on the floor.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    The best thing to do would probably be to leave them in there coop till around noon or so. Maybe if they see the others using the nest boxes they might get the hint. My first batch I never had problems with they just followed suit with the other 3 I had. But I also had fake eggs in the boxes and I didn't let them out everyday. With the 27 that I have now that are POL I was real worried about them since I found 1 egg under the shed. Since it's been so hot they've been getting out early in the am and putting themselves to bed at night. But as soon as they started laying they started right in the boxes so I'm just kinda assuming here that their just following the leader!

5. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    put some fake eggs or golfballs in the nest boxes and try to keep the hens in for a day or two. I don't let mine out of the run till noon so that they will lay in the nest boxes. Good Luck!

6. chicken stick

chicken stick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    long island new york
    could it be maybe not enough boxes per hen?

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:The number of boxes have nothing to do with it--if you had one nest per bird, they still would probably only use one or two. The natural thing for chickens is to hide their eggs until they have enough to make brooding the clutch worthwhile. Remember they aren't laying for you they're laying to reproduce. Also, for new layers sometimes the egg is kind of a surprise and they just drop it where ever they happen to be. The advice about leaving them in the coop for a few days until they become accustom to laying in the nest is a good one although there are some that never seem to learn.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I guess I've been lucky. Mine started laying last week and all go to the boxes. I put the boxes in about a month ago and put golf balls in them. So when they started to lay they just went in. I have to agree about them wanting the same box. I have 5 boxes and only 8 laying at this time and they will stand out and yell at the one in the box. One day had 2 pushing and shoving for the same box. Silly chickens!

10. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    When I have new layers I do keep them in the attached coop run when they are first laying, instead of letting them free run. Once the birds have laide for the day I let them free run. Once they get the hang of it I let them free run about 10sih.

I have locked my wayward layers in the coop trying to get them to lay in the coop and boxes and with patience I have conviced all but one that this is the right way to do. I have one that is hiding her laying in crooks and crannies she can find in the shed attached to the coop. She is the bottom of the pecking order. I find myself always boxing up holes to keep her out of hiding places. Hopefully some day this will all stop.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by