1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly laying hens, strange egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zanelee, Oct 13, 2014.

1. zanelee

zanelee Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]So here is what I found in the nestbox this morning. I've anxiously been awaiting my newer hens to start laying. This is the first. :)
    I've had strange eggs come our of newly laying hens before, but nothing quite like this. The shell is very thin, and there is a coating of...something...on it. In the picture, the top length has fluid in it, then the middle appears to have normal egg insides. The bottom "tail" looks like a tube. Anything I should do? Supplement?
    They eat a regular laying pellet, along with any bugs they can find. Kitchen scraps and some greenery. Unfortunately they cannot get as much greenery as I'd like. They can no longer free range in our yard thanks to a roving pit bull that likes to break into our yard and play with the goat. (Yes, you heard that right-they are buds)
    Hoping that it's nothing wrong with the hen that laid this.
    TIA!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It looks like the hen struggled laying the egg. The reason it is thin is that she needs calcium (crushed oyster shell, or crushed egg shells). Hope that helps. I have never seen one like that though. We do occasionally get a soft egg. Then I just give them all oyster shell at feed time.

3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    This is soemthing new layers go threw.I wouldn't think anythings wrong,doubtful it was a struggle,but you never know.New layers aren't use to it.Best it to start giving oyster shells.This makes the shells harder and more likely NOT to break if fallen or pecked.

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Is it soft?It looks like the egg sack.My hen was not a new layer,but at 1 point the sack was just hanging out.I came to the rescue pulling it out.It did hurt her.Your's on the other head is just a simply new laying hen.I can't remember my hens doing that(the new timers)but my ducka most defintly did have soft eggs.After so long it wore off.My first hen to lay was my dear Mrs.Prissy who laid a hard shelled egg.Mines free ranged.Try that if this keeps happening.

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Oyster shell should be available to your hens on the side at all times 24/7. Just keep a container of it next to their layer feed...they will eat it as needed.

6. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Tried that. The roosters eat up the oyster shell and the hens get none. I give it to them on a regular basis and have only had 2 soft shelled eggs in over 2 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by