Newly laying hens with unrelated chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by _SouthAfrican_, Jul 28, 2008.

1. _SouthAfrican_

_SouthAfrican_ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    SE Mass
    I have 6 babies about 2 weeks old. Just got them on Friday, and we're loving them! I have 2 buff orpingtons, 2 barred rocks and 2 americaunas (non-tufted).

I have an opportunity to get 2 buff orpington hens that have just started laying, and I was wondering how this would work out?

Can I put them together with the chicks without creating problems? Will it affect their laying? Anything else that I as a newbie need to consider (other than space - we do have that...)

Thank you in advance for your insight!
    Caryn
    MA

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Hi Caryn (I grew up in South Africa [​IMG] )

You can't put those tiny babies with grown hens - the hens will pick on them. You will need to wait till they are about the same size.

You also need to quarantine the new chickens to make sure they have no illnesses that will make your babies sick.

3. _SouthAfrican_

Jul 25, 2008
    SE Mass
    Hi Wildsky (I grew up in Durbs, left when I was 20 - how about you!? - feel free to PM me)

Thank you so much for your answer. Those two issues pretty much nix my getting them. I'll just have to wait until my babies are grown and ready to lay. I only have one coop (to be built!!!) for my chickens, and if I'm going to quarantine anyone it would have to be a baby because I only have brooder. I guess it could be converted into a "hospital" but it's not sufficient for a healthy grown chicken.

Thank you SO much - appreciate your input!
    Caryn
    MA

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Hey I was Close - Amanzimtoti till I was 16, then moved to the border area.

Those babies won't take long to grow - I just had my "babies" start laying their first eggs, I hated the awesome 4some in March... I have a big mixed group all different ages, but I hatched the babies so no need to quarantine them - and they were introduced slowly to the rest of the flock.

5. _SouthAfrican_

Jul 25, 2008
    SE Mass
    I'm learning as I go, so I have been focussing on raising chicks for now. I'm getting curious about things like when they don't need the light any more (I'm assuming it's when they're fully feathered, but have no idea when that might be) and when they might start laying [​IMG] I feel like a kid at Christmas!

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    You're in cooler weather now, you might need the light longer - I started to turn my light off for a few hours during the day starting at around 3 weeks, when it was nice and warm - off goes the light.
    I also made a temporary pen for them outside, and when it was nice out they got to run around in their little safe spot for a few hours every day!

Just watch the chicks, if they're cold they'll pile up on each other and peep loudly.
    If they're warm they spread out, and at extream warm they pant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by