Newly laying pullet acting weird- broody, eggbound, or normal?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Mama, my now 22 weeks old pullet just started laying this week. She’s laid 5 so far, all fairly small aside from the one she laid yesterday, which is more of a medium/large sized egg. It was a fairly large jump in size!

Anyway, she seems to usually be laying in the afternoons, but it’s now almost 6:30pm here and she hasn’t laid yet. She HAS been sitting in the nesting box a lot, leaving to eat/drink for maybe a minute, then going back into the nesting box. She’s been very LOUD and “verbal” today also, and even chased another pullet that dared be inside the coop with her, which is unusual for her.

When she’s not sitting in the nesting box or eating, she seems to be pacing. She’s not walking weird or squatting in weird places, but just seems a little “on edge” to me. Video of the noise she’s making, she’s been doing this all afternoon.

Does this sound like she’s eggbound? I know that especially for new layers it can take time for consistency in their laying. But the jump in egg size has me a little concerned that maybe this one is too big to pass. Should I do anything right away? Give her a day?

Is it possible she’s broody!? It seems so early for that, and to my knowledge she hasn’t been mated yet (not sure if that makes a difference) but my roo has thus far seemed uninterested in that just yet lol. I don’t watch them 24/7 though so it’s still very possible it’s happened.

Is this just normal new layer stuff? Here are her eggs, in order of the day she laid them (first 2 might be switched, I skipped a morning of checking and since she apparently likes to lay later in the day, she had laid 2 before I realized she had started laying! But days 3-5 are 100% certain). Just so you can see the jump up in size. This is a carton for medium sized eggs, just for scale.
image.jpg

Vid of her noise: (Not much to see, just did it quickly for the sound)

Hi! Glad to hear she laid! I was already typing when I got the notification of a new post! That is fairly normal. One of mine has laid three eggs....all of different sizes. One small. Then a large one. Then a small one today.

Attachments

• 16615554143245239175418793518510.jpg
    16615554143245239175418793518510.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom