1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly laying Pullets eating or kicking their eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ostroh, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ostroh

ostroh Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Help! this is quite a mystery. We have two pullets, 21 weeks old.
    One layed her first egg a week ago (in her nest box). then nothing the second day. Then the third day, the top of an egg pecked through and yolk ALL OVER the coop. Same day, a second mini egg was found in the nesting box (other hen?).
    Fourth day nothing. Fifth day even smaller egg, very thin shell, and wrinkled shell. Yesterday, egg yolk on the wall of the coop, as if the egg was layed from the roost?! then the egg was eaten and dragged all over the coop and into the run....
    Will they get a hang of it? is this normal? No eggs yet today.. i keep trying to get in there quick to get an egg before they kick it.
    The second egg did have scratches all over it....but was still in the box.

2. evemfoster

evemfoster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    NE, Wa.
    Sounds like the egg shells are too thin and the eggs break easily. Your birds are too low on calcium, you need to add oyster shell right away, so the shells can thicken up.

The chickens natural instinct is to keep the nest clean. If a egg breaks in the nest they will eat the egg to get it out of the nest. Try to get the thin shelled/no shelled eggs out before the chickens can get to them. And replace the nesting material with fresh, so the yolk from the broken eggs doesn't spread onto the new eggs.

3. ostroh

May 8, 2014
    That's what is so weird, I've been taking handfulls of oyster shell for 2 weeks and putting it in the run, in a cup, in their food, even with treats. Should i grind it up more finely?

4. SuperLuke

SuperLuke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    If they are eating them, put some golf balls in there and they might just stop

5. ostroh

May 8, 2014
    We have three fake concrete eggs. those are always in the boxes, only their eggs have been out. Maybe not even laying in the boxes? or put the fake eggs all together, instead of one per box?

6. evemfoster

May 6, 2014
    NE, Wa.
    No need to grind the shells they can eat fairly large chunks. Fill a bowl full with the shell. That way you can see how fast it goes down.

Oh, this may not even be a factor with your flock, but don't give them anything high in acid like vinegar for a while. The more acid they ingest the more calcium gets neutralized.

7. ostroh

May 8, 2014
    Here's an update, same RIR who is now 23 weeks, has had soft shells every day for the last week. And usually, two soft shell eggs in a day, one day THREE! Yesterday she layed the most PERFECT hard shell egg, we were so hopeful. Then this morning we go to the coop, and it looks like two soft shell eggs while she was sleeping, since they were right under the roost.
    Our Barred Rock started laying a couple days ago, and although tiny, has normal eggs, and 1 per day.
    We added ground oyster shell powder everywhere, so when they eat food/grit/it has it sprinkled everywhere. We changed the food over the weekend as well to Layena layer feed, as it's higher in calcium and protein.
    Do you think her egg forming glad is defective? Do you think she'll work it out? Has anyone had this experience? maybe 3 weeks of soft shelled eggs so far, and probably 3 regular eggs, and sometimes 2-3 soft eggs in a day?

8. evemfoster

May 6, 2014
    NE, Wa.
    It does seem to have gone on for a longer time than usual but sometimes it takes a while for the chicken to get the kinks out when they start laying. I would be patient for a while longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by