Newly mature roos harassing my hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fuzziecreatures, Aug 9, 2011.

1. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

We haven't gotten any eggs for 4 days now. Anytime the hens are down from the nest boxes the two ee/ameracana roos are pinning them down and gang breeding. They are staying up away from the roos. The other chickens, 3 pullets and 4 cockerels are getting the same treatment. The 2 roos are jumping on anything with feathers and 2 legs. We got the roos to change the genetic pool but now we aren't getting anything.
    I separated the 2 roos last night to the run while I had thw others get down from the nests to eat. Free ranging may be an option but we have just under 2 acres and the yard is not fenced in. We have 3 dogs, 2 are never out without us and the other gets tied out on occasion. He is an 8mos old pup who likes to wander across the very busy road. A neighbor dog doesn't get tied up but is never out without the owners. Haven't seen any cats in a long time. I'm sure we have predators somewhere.
    Any suggestions?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    From your post, it sounds like You have 3 pullets and a total of 7 cockerels? Maybe I misunderstood. Because that would be extremely bad.

Separate nearly all of those guys. No more than 1 cockerel for 4-10 hens. Your girls are WAY too stressed to lay with all that "attention" going on.

3. fuzziecreatures

2 mature hens are being harrassed. Their babies from May are 3 pullets not laying yet, and 4 cockerels not yet mature. The 2 roos that are harassing the hens hatched out in March.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    So you have 5 girls and 6 boys total? Definately not good. Even the 2:2 ratio for your mature birds is too much. And if you think this is bad, wait until all of those boys are acting like that. For 5 hens I would only keep one rooster, unless you pen all of your boys seperately and place them in with the girls for breeding purposes. I would thin the rooster collection quickly or you'll never get any eggs. Good luck!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    With 5 females and 6 males your ratio is way off. Why not get rid of the 4 cockerels and one of te EE cockerels? When roosters are no longer competing for breeding rights they sometimes become less aggressive. All those roosters/cockerels and so few hens/pullets is a scenario leading towars injuries and decreased egg production because of stress.

6. fuzziecreatures

4 of the cockerels are the peeps of the 2 mature hens. The ee we got for genetic diversity. The babies are bantam cross so they are small. They are about 12 to 14 weeks old. I guess we could be like that cell phone commercial and each have our own little bitty chicken on a little bitty plate. Lol

7. fuzziecreatures

I let everyone out of the run for the first time. Tenative steps out but then had a great time. They left the girls alone the whole time. I'll speak with DH about what to do next

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  8. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I had a problem with my roos harassing my hens and I put the roos out to free range all day and let the hens have peace and quiet in the run and hen house. Life has been better for both sides of the equation. The hens enjoy life with out roos and my roos enjoy the freedom of the yard! BTW I have 2 roos and 7 hens and I plan on eliminating one of the roos soon I will still free range the other because I have grown fond of having a gaurd rooster!

9. fuzziecreatures

We separated all males but one, Charlie (who is still harrassing the girls). I figure he is establishing dominance now that he's the only boy. We made a quick pallet shelter for them in the garden fencing. I went out to check on them at dusk. 2 were out of the fence, the others trying to get out. Guess they don't like their shelter. We put a light in the shelter for them to lure them in and put everyone back in the fence. Hopefully everyone will be in and accounted for in the morning.
    Thinking about switching out Charlie with Moose. He's the other mature rooster who has been jumping on the hens. I don't know what to do with those two. I've read about roos dancing around for the hens, and waiting for the squat. Neither wait for the squat, but Moose will dance. He also will call everyone to him when he finds tasty stuff. I do want the hens to set on fertilized eggs. The pullets are getting chased too but they are only about 12-14 weeks.
    Charlie is a pretty boy with nice straight toes. He is black with mostly green irridescence on his feathers, some have a purplish hue. Moose is grey and black with some reddish brown "scale look" on his wings. His inner toes curl in. His feathering is more impressive than Charlie. There is pics in the amerecana/ee thread

10. fuzziecreatures

We got an egg today! We have Charlie tha roo with 2 hens and 3 pullets. All the other boys are in their pen. Hopefully everyone stays in tonight. They keep figuring a way out. We converted the unused part of the garden into their temporary area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by