Newly Obessed With Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by itgirl, Aug 17, 2016.

1. itgirl

itgirl New Egg

Aug 15, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Hello all. I just joined the forum yesterday. I've wanted backyard chickens for years and finally made it happen this year. I'm doing this as a cooperative project with 2 of my neighbors, which has its advantages and disadvantages. We have 5 hens: 2 white leghorns, 1 black sex link, 1 Easter egger (sold as Ameraucana, but I know better now), and 1 welsummer. These are not the breeds I would have chosen, but we let my neighbors' children pick them out, and I have no complaints about any of them. Four of them are 21 weeks old today; the black sex link is about 10 days older. As of yesterday, 3 are laying (the 2 leghorns and the BSL). My neighbors have started calling me the "egg whisperer" because I've predicted each of the first eggs accurately. I spend a lot of time with the girls because I work from home, so I think I'm learning to speak chicken. [​IMG]

Thanks so much to everyone here for sharing so much information. I've already learned a ton!

1 person likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, itgirl, and :welcome. Great to have you with us! Best of luck on your chicken adventure! :)

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Knowing how to speak chicken will serve you well in the future. Lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by