Newly obsessed in SW Washington

LinkieLueville

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 6, 2012
Winlock Wa
Hi there!

I'm a 25 year old single mom who has ironically relocated to the "Home of the World's Largest Egg," in Winlock Wa. My 3.5 year old daughter moved from SE Washington to a 65 acre wanna be farm that has been in my family since the early 40's. I'm here with my Dad, helping him to care for the property and my Grandparents who are in their 80's and have very limited mobility.

To occupy my daughters busy mind with all the difficult changes we've been through this year, we decided to get a couple goats, some chickens and we planted a large garden. We drove 45 miles to pick up a box of 28 chickens for $2 each in May. There were 15 roosters and 14 hens two of which had crooked beaks and didn't make it during the high temps this summer. We've already butchered 11 of the roosters. The first time that I made a dinner that was 100% grown on my land, I was through the roof! I've never seen my daughter eat plain chicken meat so well. We picked up a couple more chickens here in town who were about four weeks older than the first bunch. They're not 18 and 22 weeks.

I found this website a couple weeks ago because I've been getting exceptionally eager about getting some eggs from my girls! our chickens are currently free range because we're just too lazy to build a coupe. I had been worried about the hens laying the eggs where ever. So when I saw everyone using golf balls on here I went to work. We had some old fruit boxes that I thought would make excellent nesting boxes. So I filled them with some old straw from the cow renters and put some small woofle balls in each box that my daughter and I got at the second hand store in town.

Over the past two days I have been hearing some very loud hens in the chicken house but no eggs. After dinner, when my daughter and I took the slop bucket to the chickens I decided to have her go check for an egg. And sure as ****, there was our first egg! She'll be having it for breakfast tomorrow with some bacon.

Thank you for reading my novel! This website has already provided me with so much information! You are all wonderful!
Lindsay

Our first egg in the nesting box with the woofle ball

Our little nesting box set up.

Our egg next to a store bought large egg.

The suspected egg layer.

My daughter holding the egg. She was SO excited!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Congrats on the first egg! Love the pics, especially the one of your daughter holding the egg. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom