Newly obsessed

Geckochick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Hi chicken people!

We are new-ish chicken owners. I don't know if anyone uses this template, but here goes...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am new to chickens. DH worked at a chicken farm growing up, so he has experience. He pestered his parents for years to have chickens, and they wouldn't do it. So, now, we are chicken people. We bought his mother's hobby farm 2 years ago, and the chickens are finally here. We have had them for about 5 weeks. DH spent the first few days of summer holidays finishing off a converted horse stall in the barn for a coop and has just finished off the outside run recently, so we are good to go.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have 27. Started with 27 and still going strong....

(3) What breeds do you have?

We ended up with a mixed bag/hatch day selection, and TBH I cannot remember all that is out there. We are hopeful that once they get bigger we can sort out breeds. From memory, we have some RIR, Black Sex Linked, Columbian Rock, Barred Plymouth Rock, and something else I am forgetting.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Good old google.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

My kids. Cooking. Running. Does laundry count?

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share

We have three kids (7, 5 and 3), a dog (an ancient hound), two bachelor cats, and two rabbits. I am a SAHM and run a preschool/childcare out of our house. In my previous life I was a special ed teacher, and DH is a grade 6 teacher.

welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC from MN. I use to run 36 miles a week and I sure do miss it! I was obsessed with running, then one night while playing with my kids, I herniated 3 discs in my neck. 3 years later, even though I barely walk, I still want to get up off the couch and go for my 6 mile run!

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! This site is a danger to my developing addiction. It seems if I am not checking on the actual chickens, I am checking here....

Nicole01 - sorry about your neck. My old running partner has had to have her spine fused, and she cannot run anymore. I know she misses it a lot.
sad.png

Quote:
Somedays it seems that way!! Might has well make it official, because then maybe I have a hobby???

Back
Top Bottom