Newly outdoors

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducktales1815, May 4, 2017.

1. ducktales1815

ducktales1815 Just Hatched

May 4, 2017
    I have 3, six to seven week old ducks. I just started keeping them outside overnight but they are not going in their house. Their house is their old brooder that I turned over and cut a door in. We are in West Texas so it doesn't get super cold at night. Should I be concerned, and if so, what can I do to get them to sleep in their house?

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ducks are not like chickens, so they won't always know to go to their house. You will need to get them into their house each night and lock them up. They will get used to the routine and likely start going on their own, but they may decide some nights they just don't want to go in and you'll have to go out and get them in. I use peas to get my ducks to do things if they don't want to do it on their own.

3. ducktales1815

May 4, 2017
    Thank you! I actually don't have a door on their house. They are in a 30' by 30' enclosure that is secure from predators. We live in the city so our only predators are stray/neighborhood cats and the occasional possum. My primary concern is the elements. The temps are moderate but we get some pretty good thunderstorms with high winds, lightening and hail. Will they seek out the house on their own if the weather is bad or should I strongly convince them if they don't get in on their own? I'm leaving town in about a week and hate for the little girls to get into a bad storm and not get into their shelter. Thanks again for your help.

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Do you have a photo of their house?
    My ducks wont go inside something like what your describing... they need to be able to see what they are going into to get used to it. It needs really good ventilation.
    Mine have a duck house with a attached run... that is 3 sided and covered in hardware cloth.
    They go in this no problem at night. It has a large door for an opening and thry can see in easily. But seems like smaller areas that look dark inside and have a smaller entrance they wont go in... but maybe yours isnt like that? Thats what im envisioning by the description tho.
    I would say no... about the storms... if they arent comfortable with the house they wont go inside even during a storm

5. ducktales1815

May 4, 2017
    Okay, that might be the problem. It is a large black barrel that we cut a small door into. I will definitely reevaluate their shelter. Thanks so much!

6. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    that might also be very hot for them

good luck!

7. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Your welcome:) hope you find something that works better :)
    There are lots of photos on here if you search "duck house"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by