Newly Purchased Pullet has nasal discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoveAllTheBirds, Sep 29, 2011.

1. LoveAllTheBirds

LoveAllTheBirds New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    Last Wednesday I purchased a new Light Brahman pullet to replace a beloved Americauna hen that was killed. I noticed after I got her home that she was trying to clear her nares, sneezing but no discharge. I isolated her and started treating her with Duramycin in her drinking water. She is eating ok, bright eyed, and interested in everything. Her poops range from normal to chocolate syrup looking. She didn't seem to lose her congestion. It was recomennded to me to alternate antibiotic water, 3 days, to bleach water, 3 days. I did that but after 2 days on the bleach water, last night, I noticed that she now has yellowish discharge from her nares, along with snot bubbles. She keeps trying to clear her nose. She is still eating, I have been giving her antibiotic water with a syringe just to make sure she is getting something. Is there anything else I can do? If she were listless and not interested in eating I'd be a little more worried but I am worried that this is lingering so long, 8 days now. Does the obvious discharge mean that whatever is in her is moving out or is she getting worse?

2. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Is there a nasty odor from this goop coming out of their nostrils?

3. LoveAllTheBirds

LoveAllTheBirds New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    No, not really. She just sounds really congested. I did notice when I picked her out that she had a distinct odor, but it faded after a couple of days at my house so I think that was just location.

4. LoveAllTheBirds

LoveAllTheBirds New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm a little dissappointed that i didn't get any support from the forum on my topic. After viewing everyone's questions beforehand, I thought I might get a few suggestions. I ended up taking her to the vet.

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

I'm sorry you didn't get any response. [​IMG] Sometimes with "sick" chickens, I think folks hesitate to respond in case they are wrong. I've posted in this forum several times and had absolutely ZERO responses which is very frustrating when dealing with a health issue. Taking your chicken to the vet was absolutely the right thing to do! And what did the vet say? Is your new girl ok?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I just noticed your thread NOW! I'm on and off byc many times during the day/night every day. I didn't see your post till now. Some days there is a tremendous amount of traffi(Posts) on BYc. If they don't get many responses the newest posts push them down off the home page. My reply to you will bump it back up the list briefly. I'm sorry I don't know what to suggest for your hen, have you checked with a flashlight to see if she has anything that got sniffed up into her nose? Have you asked the person you got her from what to do? Or if, any of her others has the same problem.

I would be interested in hearing what the vet says/does for her. I am subscribing to this thread because I hope to hear she is doing better.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Good thing you quarantined the new bird! At least you don't have to worry about whatever this is going through the rest of your flock.

8. LoveAllTheBirds

LoveAllTheBirds New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    Thank you for your concern. I had just lost my favorite chicken to a dog and was so concerned about this new girl. She does seem to be recovering. $217.00 later, the vet said it started out as shipping sickness (buying a 3 month old pullet is risky business) and turned into a sinus infection. I was giving her tetracycline but it wasn't strong enough. so she is on clavamox (pills, HA), some anti-inflammatory (non-steroidal - very important) liquid, and some nose drops to break up the snot. Losing her sense of smell was causing her not to eat and she was getting very skinny. I'm not supposed to put her with the other girls for at least 3 weeks. I'm very grateful that I quarrantined her right off. I will always do that now. It looks like Pookie is going to recover. Thank you for replying. This is what I joined the forum for, some co-crazy chicken people.

9. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so glad she is better....I would not have had a clue as to what to do....

10. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

I'm SO glad to hear that your new girl is recovering. Sounds like a very good thing you took her to the vet! Pretty sure no one here could have been quite that specific with a diagnosis and treatment. (I didn't even know they could get shipping sickness!!! [​IMG] So I've learned something. Thank you for sharing this with us.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by