Newly received hens: 2 of 6 birds in quarantine appear "tired" and lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NorthernCAN, Mar 27, 2015.

1. NorthernCAN

NorthernCAN New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    Hi everyone, I am a new member but have been using this site for over 8 months. (thank you for all the info!)

We currently have 6 chickens and we just purchased another 6 ready to lay chickens from a hatchery. 2 of the 6 hatchery birds appear down in energy, and they keep closing their eyes as if they are going to sleep or are in pain. I have check the vents for lice etc. and there appears to be nothing an their poop looks normal. The 2 birds are eating and drinking

The hatchery said they were part of a flock of 5000 birds and now they are only 6 and the temperature is -15C. I have a heat lamp but I do not think it's doing much for them.

Could it be worms or the sudden drop in temperature?

Wondering if I should 1. just give it some time as it might be shock and the cold 2. deworm or 3. start antibiotics

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    I hope that the new chickens is in quarantine. You must to insulate the sick ones from the outer chickens. First you must give them some vitamins in the water and good food like crushed boiled egg, some probiotic yogurt, some code liver,or some mealworms and a good a amount of shredded vegetables like carrots, red peppers,kail,lattice and so on. If it doesn't work you should get veterinarian help.good luck!

3. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    In the long run you must use on a daily bases ACV or clove of garlic in the water, some hot chili pepper flacks(2 table spoon in one kilo of feed) thous are good prevention of pathogens establishment in your floc. and if you can ferment your feed it better! Fermented feed gives your chicken A constant supply of probiotics!

4. NorthernCAN

NorthernCAN New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    Sounds good I will try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by