1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newly set eggs and sudden temp spike

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FromChictoChick, Jan 24, 2013.

1. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    I had the incubator running for over a week with temp and humidity spot on.

I set the eggs out all day then I added them to the incubator

The temp suddenly spiked to 103! I'm adjusting back to correct temp and lifted lid to release some heat

Why did this happen and did I likely spoil the whole batch? ??

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What kind of incubator is it? Sometimes that happens with the Styrofoam incubators. And don't worry about having killed them all! I had some who survived a temp spike of 113 degrees...twice! So I would say just candle them and see how they're doing in there.

3. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    Brinsea mini eco
    I just put them in, would candling the same day show anything?

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    OH! I misread your post - I thought you had had them in for a week already. The temp spike makes sense then - that happens a lot when you put eggs in, not sure why but someone else could probably tell you what causes it. No, day one would be too early, but by day three you can usually start to make something out, so you could try then.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    How long were they at that temp? If it wasn't too long, I think they will be fine. I would candle them on day 7. You should see veining if everything is OK. I have had temps drop low when I added the eggs but not go high. Good luck. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by